- SMI 37 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Neurofilament heavy polypeptide, NF-H, 200 kD neurofilament protein, neurofilament triplet H protein
- Mouse IgM, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Neurofilaments (NFs) are ~10 nanometer, type IV intermediate filaments expressed in neurons. NFs are the major components of the neuronal cytoskeleton, and primarily function to provide structural support for axons and regulate axonal diameter. There are three major mammalian neurofilament subunits which are named based on their apparent molecular weight: 1) neurofilament light (NF-L, ~70 kD), 2) neurofilament medium (NF-M, ~145-160 kD), and 3) neurofilament heavy (NF-H, ~200-220 kD). Neurofilaments are extensively phosphorylated, and their phosphorylation status plays an important role in modulation of their function. Abnormal NF modifications, mutations, and accumulation have been associated with neurodegenerative diseases. NF immunostaining is commonly used as a diagnostic marker for neuropathology detection. NFs are also useful for differentiating neurons (positive for NF) from glia (negative for NF).Product Details
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C.
IHC-P - Quality tested
WB - Verified
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration range of 5.0 - 10 μg/ml is suggested. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 1.0 - 10 µg/ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
SMI 37 reacts with a non-phosphorylated epitope in neurofilament H (NF-H) of most mammalian species. Immunocytochemically, SMI 37 visualizes some neuronal cell bodies, dendrites and thick axons in the central and peripheral nervous systems. SMI 37 staining is more restricted than that seen with SMI 32 or SMI 38 and Neuronal cell bodies are intensely stained while neuronal processes staining is less prominent. This IgM antibody reacts with goat anti-mouse IgG via the light chains common to IgG and IgM.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Petzold A, et al. 2011. Brain 134:464. (WB) PubMed
AB_2715862 (BioLegend Cat. No. 835803)
AB_2632627 (BioLegend Cat. No. 835804)
- Neurofilament H has an apparent molecular mass of 200-220 kD.
Tissue distribution: CNS, peripheral nerves and glandular cells of prostate.
Cellular distribution: cytoskeleton, nucleus, cytosol, and mitochondrion.
- Neurofilaments are the major components of the neuronal cytoskeleton. They provide axonal support and regulate axon diameter.
- Cell Type
- Mature Neurons
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers
- Molecular Family
- Intermediate Filaments
- Gene ID
- 4744 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Neurofilament H NF-H on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.