- BL28594 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- MBP, Golli-MBP, Myelin A1 protein, myelin membrane encephalitogenic protein
- Rat IgG2a, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Myelin basic protein (MBP) is a protein involved in the myelination of nerves in the central nervous system (CNS). MBP functions to maintain the correct structure of myelin, through its interaction with the lipids in the myelin membrane. The myelin sheath is made up of MBP and lipids, and acts as an insulator to increase the velocity of axonal impulse conduction. MBP plays a central role in the demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis (MS). A hallmark of the disease is the loss of the myelin sheath surrounding nerves, thought to be induced by antibodies against MBP.Product Details
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Synthetic peptide corresponding to human MBP amino acids 82-87
- PBS, pH 7.4 plus 0.09% sodium azide
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- Upon receipt, the antibody solution should be stored undiluted at -20°C
WB - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by Western blotting. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 0.1 - 0.5 µg per ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
AB_2814583 (BioLegend Cat. No. 859401)
- MBP is a 304 amino acid protein with predicted molecular mass of ~33 kD. MBP exists in multiple isoforms with observed molecular masses of ~ 18, 21 and 33 kD.
Tissue Distribution: Central and peripheral nervous system
Cellular Distribution: Cytoskeleton, plasma membrane, cytosol, and extracellular
- Classic MBP isoforms (4-14) are the most abundant protein components of the myelin membrane in the CNS. They play a role in both its formation and stabilization. The non-classic isoforms may have a role in the early developing brain long before myelination.
- MBP forms homodimer
- Cell Type
- Biology Area
- Cell Structure, Neurodegeneration, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers
- Antigen References
- Llyasov AA, et al. 2018. Front Neurosci. 12:733
- Muller C, et al. 2013. Front Cell Neurosci. 7:169
- Harauz G, et al. 2013. J Neurochem. 125(3):334
- Gene ID
- 4155 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Myelin Basic Protein 82-87 on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.