- W17071A (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Interferon-gamma-inducing factor, IGIF, IL-1g, IL18, IL1F4
- Rat IgG2a, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
IL-18 was first identified as IFN-β-inducing factor (IGIF). It is a member of the IL-1 family of cytokines and similar to IL-1β, IL-18 is initially synthesized as an inactive precursor without a signal peptide and is cleaved into the mature form by activated caspase 1. Caspase 1-independent maturation of IL-18 is induced by FASL. Mature IL-18 binds directly to the IL-18 receptor alpha chain and then recruits IL-18 receptor beta chain to form a high affinity complex. The high affinity complex recruits MyD88 and leads to IRAK/TRAF6 pathway activation and NF-κB nuclear translocation. IL-18 in combination with IL-12 shows a synergistic effect on IFNβ production. Without costimulation, IL-18 alone does not induce IFNβ production. IL-18 can induce IFNβ production from splenocytes, liver macrophage, T lymphocytes and natural killer cells. IL-18 also enhances the production of GM-CSF and IL-12. IL-18 enhances Th1 cell development by synergizing with IL-12 and promotes Th2 cell differentiation in the presence of TCR activation. IL-18 plays a major role in autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. It has been implicated in many diseases such as eczema, psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease, metabolic syndromes, hemophagocytic syndrome, sepsis and acute kidney injury. Blocking of IL-18 activity has been an attractive therapeutic approach for autoimmune disease. It has been shown that neutralization of IL-18 has reduced both intestinal IFNβ and TNFα production and resulted in a dose dependent reduction in colitis severity in mice. IL-18 is also able to induce angiogenesis, migration, proliferation and immune escape, and has been associated with cancer. Several publications show that IL-18 gene polymorphism may be risk factors for several cancers.Product Details
- Verified Reactivity
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Recombinant human IL-18
- 0.2 µm filtered in phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing no preservative. Endotoxin level is < 0.01 EU/µg of the protein (< 0.001 ng/µg of the protein) as determined by the LAL test.
- The Ultra-LEAF™ (Low Endotoxin, Azide-Free) antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- The antibody is bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial, typically between 2 mg/mL and 3 mg/mL. To obtain lot-specific concentration, please enter the lot number in our Concentration and Expiration Lookup or Certificate of Analysis online tools.
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C. This Ultra-LEAF™ solution contains no preservative; handle under aseptic conditions.
Neut - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by the neutralization of human IFN-γ production induced by recombinant human IL-18 (Cat. No. 592104) at 0.01 µg/mL on human KG-1a cells. ND50 range: 1.3 - 10 µg/mL. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
AB_2910518 (BioLegend Cat. No. 949703)
AB_2910518 (BioLegend Cat. No. 949704)
The major sources of IL-18 are macrophage and dendritic cells. IL-18 precursor is constitutively expressed in endothelial cells, keratinocytes, and intestinal epithelial cells. It is also expressed by renal parenchymal cells (tubular epithelial cells, podocytes, and mesangial cells).
- IL-18 is essential for both innate and adaptive immunity. IL-18 induces synthesis of TNF, IL-1, Fas ligand, and several inflammatory chemokines. VEGF-D increases the expression and the secretion of IL-18 from gastric cancer cell lines. IL-18 binding protein (IL-18BP) binds to mature IL-18 with high affinity and prevents its interaction with IL-18Ra. IL-1F7 is a negative regulator of IL-18. IL-18 mRNA is induced by stress and bacteria in adrenal cortex and mouse osteoblasts respectively.
- CD4 and CD8 lymphocytes, NK cells, splenocytes, smooth muscle cells
- IL-18 receptor (heteromeric complex of alpha and beta subunits)
- Cell Type
- NK cells, T cells
- Biology Area
- Adaptive Immunity, Immunology, Innate Immunity
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
- Okamura H, et al. 1995. Nature. 378:88-91.
- Siegmund B, et al. 2001. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 281:R1264-73.
- Rodriguez-Galán MC, et al. 2005. J Immunol. 174:2796-804.
- Alboni S, et al. 2010. J Neuroinflammation. 7:9.
- Dinarello CA, et al. 2013. Front Immunol. 4:289.
- Fabbi M, et al. 2015. J Leukoc Biol. 97:665-75.
- Gene ID
- 3606 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-18 on UniProt.org
Related Pages & Pathways
- Do you guarantee that your antibodies are totally pathogen free?
BioLegend does not test for pathogens in-house aside from the GoInVivo™ product line. However, upon request, this can be tested on a custom basis with an outside, independent laboratory.
- Does BioLegend test each Ultra-LEAF™ antibody by functional assay?
No, BioLegend does not test Ultra-LEAF™ antibodies by functional assays unless otherwise indicated. Due to the possible complexities and variations of uses of biofunctional antibodies in different assays and because of the large product portfolio, BioLegend does not currently perform functional assays as a routine QC for the antibodies. However, we do provide references in which the antibodies were used for functional assays and we do perform QC to verify the specificity and quality of the antibody based on our strict specification criteria.
- Does BioLegend test each Ultra-LEAF™ antibody for potential pathogens?
No, BioLegend does not test for pathogens in-house unless otherwise indicated. However, we can recommend an outside vendor to perform this testing as needed.
- Have you tested this Ultra-LEAF™ antibody for in vivo or in vitro applications?
We don't test our antibodies for in vivo or in vitro applications unless otherwise indicated. Depending on the product, the TDS may describe literature supporting usage of a particular product for bioassay. It may be best to further consult the literature to find clone specific information.
Other FormatsView All IL-18 Reagents Request Custom Conjugation
|Ultra-LEAF™ Purified anti-human IL-18||W17071A||Neut|
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.