- SMI 94 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Golli-MBP, myelin A1 protein, myelin membrane encephalitogenic protein
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Myelin basic protein (MBP) is a protein involved in the myelination of nerves in the central nervous system (CNS). MBP functions to maintain the correct structure of myelin, through its interaction with the lipids in the myelin membrane. The myelin sheath is made up of MBP and lipids, and acts as an insulator to increase the velocity of axonal impulse conduction. MBP plays a central role in the demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis (MS). A hallmark of the disease is the loss of the myelin sheath surrounding nerves, thought to be induced by antibodies against MBP.Product Details
- Verified Reactivity
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography and conjugated with Spark YG™ 570 under optimal conditions.
- 0.5 mg/mL
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C, and protected from prolonged exposure to light. Do not freeze.
IHC-P - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration range of 1.0 - 5.0 µg/mL is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
* Spark YG™ 570 has a maximum excitation of 555 nm and a maximum emission of 570 nm.
- Excitation Laser
Green Laser (532 nm)/Yellow-Green Laser (561 nm)
- Application Notes
SMI 94 reacts with the Myelin Basic Protein (MBP) peptic fragment 70-89 of the classic human myelin basic protein sequence.
SMI 94 detects developing and adult myelin, developing oligodendrocytes and distinguishes oligodendrocytes from astrocytes, microglia, neurons and other cells in brain sections. The combination of SMI 94 with SMI 91 and/or 99 is useful for immunocytochemical studies on the progression of normal and pathologic myelination.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Kiryu-Seo S, et al. 2010. J. Neurosci. 30:6658. (ICC)
- Gensel JC, et al. 2009. J. Neurosci. 29:3956. (IHC-P)
- Wang H, et al. 2008. J. Cell. Biol. 182:1171. (ICC, WB)
- McLean NA, et al. 2014. PLoS One 9:e110174. (IHC-F)
- Tian C, et al. 2014. Front Cell Neurosci. 8:297. (IHC-P)
- Wüthrich C, et al. 2009. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 68:15. (IHC, ICC)
- Maire CL, et al. 2014. Stem Cells 32:313. (IHC-P)
- Rusielewicz T, et. al. 2014. Glia 62:580. (ICC)
- Li C, et al. 2012. ASN Neuro. 4:e00102. (ICC)
- Huang JH, et al. 2009. Tissue Eng. Part A 15:1677. (IHC-P)
- Göttle P, et al. 2015. J. Neurosci. 35:906. (ICC)
- Zhao X, et al. 2010. Neuron. 65:612. (ICC)
AB_2892490 (BioLegend Cat. No. 836509)
AB_2892490 (BioLegend Cat. No. 836510)
- Myelin Basic Protein is a 304 amino acid protein with a molecular mass of 33kD.
Cytoskeleton, plasma membrane, cytosol, and extracellular.
- Classic MBP isoforms (4-14) are the most abundant protein components of the myelin membrane in the CNS. They play a role in both its formation and stabilization. The non-classic isoforms may have a role in the early developing brain long before myelination.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers
- Gene ID
- 4155 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Myelin Basic Protein on UniProt.org
|Purified anti-Myelin Basic Protein||SMI 94||IHC-P, WB, ICC, IHC-F|
|Alexa Fluor® 488 anti-Myelin Basic Protein||SMI 94||IHC-P|
|Alexa Fluor® 594 anti-Myelin Basic Protein||SMI 94||IHC-P|
|Spark YG™ 570 anti-Myelin Basic Protein||SMI 94||IHC-P|
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.