- Other Names
- Reticulon-4, RTN-4, Foocen, Neurite outgrowth inhibitor (Nogg), Neuroendocrine-specific protein (NSP), NI220
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Rat Nogo-A, also known as Reticulon-4, is a member of reticulon family of transmembrane proteins. Nogo-A in rat exists in four isoforms. Isoform 1 is specifically expressed in brain and testis and weakly in heart and skeletal muscle. Isoform 2 is widely expressed except for the liver. Isoform 3 is expressed in brain, skeletal muscle and adipocytes. Isoform 4 is testis-specific. Nogo-A is one of three prototypical myelin associated neurite outgrowth inhibitory factors that may play a role in blocking the regeneration of the central nervous system in higher vertebrates. It is a negative regulator of axon-axon adhesion and neurite outgrowth. It facilitates neurite branching and regulates neurite fasciculation in the developing nervous system. It also regulates the radial migration of cortical neurons. In the adult CNS, Nogo-A is involved in the stabilization of wiring and the restriction of plasticity. The full length rat Nogo-A is 1163 amino acids long and contains 94 amino acids ‘loop’ that connects two transmembrane segments. Nogo-66 corresponds to a stretch of 66 amino acids within the 94 amino acids transmembrane connecting loop. Analysis of Nogo-A has shown that an axon-inhibiting domain of 66 amino acids is expressed at the extracellular surface and at the ER lumen of transfected cells and oligodendrocytes. Nogo-66 binds to Nogo receptor/p75 complex on axons and induces growth cone collapse.Product Details
- Rat Nogo-A/Nogo-66, amino acids Arg1026-Leu1090 (Accession# Q9JK11) with mouse IgG2a Fc tag at the C-terminus, was expressed in 293E cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 299 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 33.9 kD. The DTT-reduced protein migrates at approximately 40 kD and non-reduced proteins migrate at approximately 72 kD by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Arg.
- >95% as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg of protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
Measured by the ability of immobilized recombinant rat Nogo-Fc chimera to inhibit C6 glioma cell adhesion and spreading. Able to inhibit cell adhesion and spreading when immobilized at 6-30 µg/mL.
100 ng of protein, immobilized as a 3 µL droplet on a nitrocellulose-coated plate, is sufficient to significantly inhibit neurite outgrowth of E13 chick DRG neurons induced by laminin substrate.
- Recommended Usage
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specifically expressed in brain and testis and weakly in heart and skeletal muscle.
- Neurite outgrowth inhibition, growth cone collapse.
- CNS axons and cortical neurons.
- NgR1/ RTN4R, PairB.
- Measured by the ability of immobilized protein to inhibit neurite outgrowth of dissociated E13 chick embryonic dorsal root ganglia (DRG) neurons.
- Biology Area
- Cell Adhesion, Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Immunology, Innate Immunity, Neuroscience, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Adhesion Molecules, Postsynaptic proteins
- Antigen References
1. Spillmann AA, et al. 1998. J. Biol. Chem. 273:19283.
2. GrandPré T, et al. 2000. Nature. 403:439.
3. Chen MS, et al. 2000. Nature. 403:434.
4. Simonen M, et al. 2003. Neuron. 38:201.
5. Voeltz GK, et al. 2006. Cell. 124:573.
6. Atwal JK, et al. 2007. Science. 322(5903):967-70.
7. Yang Y, et al. 2010. Ann. Neurol. 67:498.
- Gene ID
- 83765 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Nogo-A/Nogo-66-Fc Chimera on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.