- Other Names
- Stromal Cell-Derived Factor 1, SDF-1, SDF1, C-X-C Motif Chemokine 12, C-X-C Motif Chemokine Ligand 12, SCYB12
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
SDF-1 (stromal cell derived factor 1) also known as CXCL12 belongs to the CXCL chemokine family. Six isoforms of SDF-1 has been described: SDF-1α, SDF-1β, SDF-1γ, SDF-1δ, SDF-1ε, SDF-1ϕ. SDF-1 is expressed by many organs, and it is most abundantly expressed in pancreas, spleen, ovary, and small intestine. SDF-1 and its receptor CXCR4 are involved in regulation of migration, survival, and development of multiple cell types, including human hematopoietic CD34+/CD38-/low and stromal STRO-1+ stem cells. Stress-induced modulations in SDF-1 and CXCR4 levels leads to the recruitment of immature and maturing leukocytes from the BM reservoir to damaged organs as part of host defense and repair mechanism. SDF-1/CXCR4 system is involved in the establishment of organ metastasis in different cancers, for example in lymph node metastasis, in breast cancer and oral squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), and peritoneal metastasis in ovarian cancer. SDF-1 also binds to CXCR7, but it does not trigger typical chemokine signal transduction. CXCR7 is a scavenger receptor and regulates the extracellular accessibility of SDF-1. CXCR7 form a dimer with CXCR4 and regulates SDF-1-mediated G protein signaling. CXCR4 and CXCR7 are involved in development as well as in cancer.Product Details
- Rat CXCL12 amino acids (Lys22-Lys89) (Accession #Q80YV8) was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 68 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 7.9 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrate at approximately 10kD and 15KD respectively by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Lys.
- > 95% by SDS-PAGE gel as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1.0 EU per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for three months, at -20°C for six months, or at -70°C for one year. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Stock solutions should be prepared at no less than 50 µg/mL in sterile buffer (PBS, HPBS, DPBS, and EBSS) containing carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA. After dilution, the cytokine can be stored at 4°C for one month or from -20°C to -70°C for up to three months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Rat CXCL12/SDF-1α chemoattracts Ba/F3 - hCXCR4 transfectants in a dose dependent manner. The migrated cells were measured using Deep Blue Cell Viability™ Kit (Cat. No. 424701). The ED50 = 0.3 - 1.5 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Widely expressed in endothelial and stromal cells.
- SDF-1 chemo-attracts peripheral blood T, lamina propia T cells, and B cells. The SDF-1/CXCR4 interaction mobilizes CD34+ progenitors to the peripheral blood and participates in the homing of stem cells to their specific niches. SDF-1-induced proliferation in pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia cells (PanIN). SDF-1 is a constitutive chemokine involved in lung, brain, joint, brain, and intestine inflammation.
- T lymphocytes, B cells, monocytes, macrophages, tissue-committed stem/progenitor cells (TCSCs), mast cells, and vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs).
- CXCR4 and CXCR7
- Rat CXCL12 induces the chemotaxis of Baf3-hCXCR4 trnasfectants.
- Biology Area
- Apoptosis/Tumor Suppressors/Cell Death, Cell Biology, Immunology, Signal Transduction, Transcription Factors
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
- Shirozu M, et al. 1995 Genomics 28:495-500.
- Müller A, et al. 2001. Nature. 410:50-6.
- Dar A, et al. 2006. Exp. Hematol. 34:967-75.
- Burns JM, et al. 2006. J. Exp. Med. 203:2201.
- Gelmini S, et al. 2008 J. Endocrinol. Invest. 31:809-19.
- Zlotnik A. 2008. J. Pathol. 215:211-3.
- Levoye A, et al. 2009. Blood. 113:6085.
- Naumann U, et al. 2010. PLoS One. 5:e9175.
- Gene ID
- 24772 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about CXCL12 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.