Glypicans are heparin sulfate proteoglycans that are bound to the outer cell surface membrane by a glycosyl-phosphatidylinositol (GPI) linkage. There are six known mammalian Glypicans (GPC1 to GPC6) and they can be released from the cell surface by a lipase called Notum. The main function of membrane bound glypicans is to regulate the signaling of Wnts, Hedgehogs, fibroblast growth factors and bone morphogenetic proteins. Glypican-3 (GPC3) may play a role in the modulation of insulin-like growth factor 2 interactions with its receptor, and thereby modulate its function in the control of cell proliferation. GPC3 directly interacts with FGF-basic via the heparan sulfate chains. Mutations in GPC3 result in, Simpson-Golabi-Behmel Syndrome (SGBS), a condition characterized by pre- and postnatal overgrowth (gigantism), facial dysmorphism and a variety of inconstant visceral and skeletal malformations. GPC3 deficient mice are able to exhibit the phenotypes of SGBS patients. Human GPC3 encodes a 70 kDa precursor core protein which can be cleaved by furin to generate a 40 kDa N-terminal subunit and 30 kDa membrane bound C-terminal subunit. GPC3 is known to be highly expressed in Hepatocellular carcinoma and melanoma, but it is down-regulated in several malignant tumours, such as ovarian carcinoma, cholangiocarcinoma, mesothelioma, and breast cancer, due to hypermethylation of the glypican-3 promoter.Product Details
- Human Glypican-3, amino acids Gln25-His559 (Accession# P51654.1) with C-terminal TGHHH HHHHHGGQ was expressed in 293E.
- Molecular Mass
- The 548 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 62.3 kD. The DTT-reduced proteins migrate at approximately 80-100 kD and non-reduced proteins migrate at approximately 75-100 kD by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Gln.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg of protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- When human Glypican-3 is immobilized at 2 µg/mL, human FGF-basic binds with EC50 of 3 - 12 ng/mL.
- Recommended Usage
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- The main function is to regulate the signaling of fibroblast growth factors and IGF-2 .
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Synaptic Biology
- Antigen References
1. Pilia G, et al. 1996. Nature Genet. 12:241-247.
2. Song HH, et al. 1997. J. Biol. Chem. 272:7574-7577.
3. Lin H, et al. 1999. Cancer Res. 59:807-810.
4. Veugelers M, et al. 2000. Hum. Molec. Genet. 9:1321-1328.
5. Grisaru S, et al. 2001. Dev. Biol. 231:31-46.
6. Xiang YY, et al. 2001. Oncogene. 20:7408-7412.
7. Capurro MI, et al. 2008. Dev. Cell. 14:700-711.
- Gene ID
- 2719 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Glypican-3 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.