|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) are multi-functional growth factors that belong to the transforming growth factor beta (TGF-β) superfamily. BMPs play a key role in embryonic development, especially during heart, neural, and cartilage development. Around 20 BMP family members have been identified and characterized. BMPs signal through serine/threonine kinase receptors, composed of type I and II subtypes. Four type I receptors have been identified: type IA and IB BMP receptors, type IA activin receptor, and activin receptor-like kinase I. Three type II receptors have also been recognized: type II BMP receptor and type II and IIB activin receptors. Nervous system development involves several BMPs including BMP-2, 4, 5, and 7. BMP-5 is widely expressed in the nervous system throughout development and into adulthood, and BMP-5 induces multiple dendritic processes to sympathetic neurons in culture. BMP-5 plays an important role in fracture healing during the stage of cartilage formation and periosteal response. In addition, BMP-4 and BMP-5 are expressed in normal synovial tissue and have been found to be decreased in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis; therefore, it has been speculated that these BMPs are important in joint homeostasis.Product Details
- Human BMP-5, amino acids (Ala317-His454) (Accession# NM_021073), was expressed in CHO cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 138 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 15.6 kD. Recombinant human BMP-5 is a homodimeric disulfide-linked protein. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Ala.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer containing a carrier protein such as 0.1% BSA and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- BMP-5 induces alkaline phosphatase production on ATDC-5 cells. The expected ED50 = 0.5 - 1.0 µg/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 1.0 - 2.0 x 103 unit/mg.
- Growth factor, homodimer
- Chondrocytes, neurons.
- BMP-5 induces cartilaginous differentiation, chondrocyte cell proliferation, and cartilage matrix synthesis. It also regulates dendritic growth in sympathetic neurons. Noggin and follistatin inhibit the dendrite-promoting activity of BMP-5.
- Chondroblasts, osteoblasts, neurons.
- Type I receptors BMPR-IA (ALK-3) and type II receptors.
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Stem Cells, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
1. Beck HN, et al. 2001. BMC Neurosci. 2:12.
2. Chen D, et al. 2004. Growth Factors 22:233.
3. Mailhot G, et al. 2008. J. Cell Physiol. 214:56.
4. Ai-Aql ZS, et al. 2008. J. Dent. Res. 87:107.
5. Gluhak-Heinrich J, et al. 2010. Bone 46:1533.
- Gene ID
- 653 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about BMP-5 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.