- 1A4 (See other available formats)
- HCDM listed
- Other Names
- Actin, aortic smooth muscle, alpha 2 actin, alpha-actin-2, alpha-cardiac actin, growth-inhibiting gene 46, cell growth-inhibiting gene 46 protein
Covance Catalog# MMS-466S
- Mouse IgG2a
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Cytoplasmic actins, which belong to the microfilament system of cytoskeleton proteins, are some of the most conserved eukaryotic proteins being expressed in mammals and birds. The actin protein consists of six isoforms, varying in their amino acid sequence, but all having the same molecular mass of 42 kD. The isoforms show more than 90% overall sequence homology, but only 50-60% homology in their 18 N-terminal residues. The N-terminal region appears to be a major antigenic region. There are different α isoforms specific for muscle tissues, i.e. skeletal muscle α cardiac muscle α and smooth muscle α respectively. The β- and γ-actins may be present in muscle cells as well as most other cell types in the body, including non-muscle cells.Product Details
- Human, Mouse, Rat, Cow, Chicken
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- This antibody was raised against the N-terminal synthetic decapeptide of alpha-smooth muscle actin coupled to keyhole limpet haemocyanin (KLH).
- Cell Culture Supernatant (dialysed against 0.05 mol/L Tris/HCl, pH 7.2, and containing 15 mmol/L NaN3).
- Tissue Culture Supernatant
- Lot-specific (please contact technical support for concentration and total µg amount, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Store between 2°C and 8°C.
IHC, ICC, WB
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by immunohistochemical staining.
The optimal working dilution should be determined for each specific assay condition.
• WB: 1:100*
• IHC: 1:50-1:100**
Paraffin sections: This antibody can be used for labelling paraffin-embedded tissue sections fixed in formalin. Pre-treatment of tissues with heat-induced epitope retrieval is recommended. Optimal results are obtained with 10 mmol/L Tris buffer, 1 mmol/L EDTA, pH 9.0. Pre-treatment of tissues with proteinase-K was found destructive of the epitope. The tissue sections should not dry out during the treatment or during the following immunocytochemical staining procedure.
Frozen sections and cell preparations: The antibody can also be used for labelling acetone-fixed, frozen sections.
- Application Notes
This antibody is effective in immunoblotting (WB), immunocytochemistry (ICC) and immunohistochemistry (IHC).
*Predicted MW = 42 kD
**Reccomend 20 minute heat-induced epitope retrieval in 10 mmol/L Tris buffer, 1 mmol/L EDTA, pH 9.0, and 30 minute incubation of primary antibody at room temperature.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Brennan PA, et al. 2000. J Oral Pathol Med. 29:279.
- Rizeq MN, et al. 1994. Hum Pathol. 25:671.
- Schmitt-Graff A, et al. 1991. Am J Pathol. 138:1233.
- Roholl PJM, et al 1990. Hum Pathol. 21:1269.
- Alberts B, et al. 1989. Eds. Molecular biology of the cell. 2:613.
- Skalli O, et al. 1986. J Cell Biol. 103:2787.
- Product Citations
AB_2565041 (BioLegend Cat. No. 904601)
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers
- Molecular Family
- Gene ID
- 59 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Alpha Smooth Muscle Actin on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.