- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- LGALS1, GAL1, GBP,
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Galectin-1 is a 14 kD lectin widely expressed in mammals and produced by vascular, interstitial, epithelial, and immune cells. This protein binds specifically to galactoside derivatives of glycoproteins on cell membranes. A great number of membrane glycoconjugates have been identified as binding partners of Galectin-1 such as β1 integrins, CD2, CD3, CD4, CD43, CD45, and GM1 ganglioside. Galectin-1 also binds to a number of extracellular-matrix components, such as laminin and fibronectin in a dose-dependent and β-galactoside-dependent manner. Because Galectin-1 is a divalent lectin, it can also form complexes with receptor partners participating in cell-matrix recognition. Thus, Galectin-1 is involved in a variety of biological activities such as cell-matrix interactions, immune responses, inflammatory responses, tumorigenesis, and apoptosis of both tumor and immune cells. In addition, Galectin-1 is thought to play a role in creating immune tolerance in pregnancy. Galectin-1 induces the differentiation of dendritic cells towards a phenotype which dampens T helper 1 cells and T helper 17 cells and dampens inflammation via IL-10 and IL-27. It also plays a role in the formation and expression of HLA-G in the syncytium. Galectin-1 may act as an autocrine negative growth factor that regulates cell proliferation.Product Details
- Human Galectin-1, amino acids (Ala2-Asp135) (Accession# NP_002296.1), was expressed in 293E cells with a N-terminal His tag and a linker sequence.
- Molecular Mass
- This 155 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 16.8 kD. The protein migrates at approximately 24 kD by SDS-PAGE in DTT-reducing conditions. The N-terminal amino acid is His.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 20 mM MOPS, 0.5 M NaCl, 7.5% Sucrose, 10 mM β-mercaptoethanol, 1mM EDTA, pH 7.4.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 25 µg size is bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size is lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial. To obtain lot-specific concentration, please enter the lot number in our Concentration and Expiration Lookup or Certificate of Analysis online tools.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Recombinant human Galectin-1 is able to agglutinate human red blood cells with an ED50 < 5.0 µg/ml.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Galectin-1 is expressed by vascular cells, epithelial cells, and immune cells.
- This protein plays a role in numerous cellular functions, including apoptosis, innate immunity, cell adhesion, T cell regulation, tumor metastasis.
- Extracellular matrix.
- CD146, and N- and O-linked oligosaccharides of cell membrane glycoproteins.
- Human Galectin-1 is able to agglutinate human red blood cells.
- Biology Area
- Cancer Biomarkers, Cell Adhesion, Immunology, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Adhesion Molecules
- Antigen References
1. Hadari YR, et al. 2000. J. Cell Sci. 113:2385.
2. Jouve N, et al. 2013. J. Biol. Chem. 288:2571.
3. Almkvist J. and Karlsson A, 2004. Glycoconj. J. 19:575.
4. Barondes SH, et al. 1994. Cell. 76:597.
5. Camby I, et al. 2006. Glycobiology. 16:137R.
6. Rabinovich GA, et al. 2009. Immunol. Rev. 230:144.
7. Thijssen VL, et al. 2006. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 103:15975.
- Gene ID
- 3956 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Galectin-1 on UniProt.org
Related Pages & Pathways
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)