- Other Names
- ACAN, Aggrecan 1, Cartilage-specific proteoglycan core protein (CSPCP), Chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan 1 (CSPG1), MSK16, SEDK
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Aggrecan, also known as aggrecan 1, is the major proteoglycan in the articular cartilage. This high molecular weight protein exhibits a bottlebrush structure, in which chondroitin sulfate and keratan sulfate chains are attached to an extended protein core. Aggrecan plays an important role in the proper functioning of articular cartilage by providing a hydrated gel structure through its interaction with hyaluronan and link proteins, that endows the cartilage with load-bearing properties. Aggrecan is expressed by chondrocytes and found to be crucial in chondroskeletal morphogenesis during development. Mutations in this gene may be involved in skeletal dysplasia and spinal degeneration. Structurally, aggrecan is composed of two globular structural domains (G1 and G2) at the N-terminal end and one globular domain (G3) at the C-terminal end, separated by a large extended domain (CS) heavily modified with glycosaminoglycans. G1 and G2 domains of aggrecan are separated by the interglobular domain (IGD). Biologically, the G1 domain interacts with hyaluronan acid and link proteins, forming stable ternary complexes in the extracellular matrix (ECM). The G2 domain is homologous to the tandem repeats of G1 and link proteins, and is involved in product processing. G3 makes up the carboxyl terminus of the core protein, and enhances glycosaminoglycan modification and product secretion. Also, the G3 domain links the proteoglycan aggregates to the ECM proteins (fibulins and tenascins). Degradation of aggrecan appears to initiate at the C-terminus. The population of aggrecan molecules without the G3 domain increases with aging.Product Details
- Human Aggrecan, amino acids (Val20-Gly675) (Accession# NP_001126), was expressed in 293E cells with a C-terminal 10 His tag and a linker sequence.
- Molecular Mass
- This 672 amino acid recombinant protein with a C-terminal His tag has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 74.3 kD. The protein migrates at about 100 kD by SDS-PAGE in DTT-reducing and non-reducing conditions. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Val.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg of protein as determine by the LAL method.
- 25 µg size is bottled at 100 µg/mL. 100 µg size is lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Application Notes
We currently check the quality of this recombinant protein by purity, endotoxin level and molecular weight. At this time, we do not have bioassay system established yet for testing this protein. However, we are continuing to seek out options to test its activity.
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chondrocytes, embryonic brain glia.
- Plays a key role in neural development, glial scar formation, cell adhesion, cell growth, receptor binding, cell migration, and interaction with other extracellular matrix constituents.
- Aggrecan interacts with laminin, fibronectin, tenascin, and collagen.
- Aggrecan is an enzymatic substrate of MMPs and ADAMT11. It interacts with versican, a large ECM proteoglycan.
- Human Aggrecan (G1-IGD-G2) is able to bind hyaluronan.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Signal Transduction, Stem Cells
- Antigen References
1. Doege KJ, et al. 1991. J. Biol. Chem. 266:894.
2. Nap RJ, and Szleifer I. 2008. Biophys. J. 95:4570.
3. Roughley P, et al. 2006. Eur. Cell Mater. 11:1.
4. Kiani C, et al. 2002. Cell Res. 12:19.
5. Melin Fürst C, et al. 2013. PloS One 8:e61407.
- Gene ID
- 176 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Aggrecan on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.