- Rat-401 (See other available formats)
- Other Names
- Nestin, NES
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Nestin was originally identified as a neuronal stem cell marker during central nervous system (CNS) development. It belongs to an intermediate filament protein family, and it is the most widely used marker for identifying neuronal stem cells. Nestin is required for survival, renewal, and mitogen-stimulated proliferation of neural progenitor cells. However, the exact function of nestin is not very clear. Nestin is involved in structural organization of the cells through assembling into heterodimers with vimentin or α-internexin in a phosphorylation-dependent process to form intermediate filaments. The expression of nestin is downregulated and replaced by expression of the neurofilament proteins upon neural differentiation/maturation.
Expression of nestin has also been reported in non-neuronal immature or progenitor cells such as pancreatic islet progenitor cells, angiogenic endothelial cells, glioma cells, and bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Recent studies also showed that nestin expression can be detected in repair processes in the CNS and in various tumor cells. Thus, it has been used as a cancer stem cell marker. The usage of nestin as a novel prognostic indicator and possible target for tumor anigogenesis has been also proposed.
- Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Homogenized Sprague-Dawley rat spinal cord.
- This antibody is provided in phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide.
- Affinity purified.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- Upon receipt, store undiluted between 2°C and 8°C.
IHC-P - Quality tested
IP - Reported in the literature, not verified in house
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration of 10 µg/ml is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
The reactivity of Alexa Fluor® 647 anti-Nestin antibody was verified in FFPE embryonic mouse tissue.
- Application References
- Hockfield S, et al. 1985. J. Neurosci. 5:3310. (IP)
- Friedman B, et al. 1990. J. Comp. Neurol. 295:43. (IP)
- Brook GA, et al. 1994. Exp. Neurol. 126:31. (IP)
- Lendahl U, et al. 1990. Cell 60:585. (IP)
- Product Citations
AB_2562023 (BioLegend Cat. No. 655102)
- Mouse nestin is 1864 amino acids with a predicted molecular weight of 207 kD. The observed molecular weight is larger than 250 kD.
- Nestin gene encodes a member of the intermediate filament, and it is required for survival and renewal of neural progenitor cells.
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Immunology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers, Stem Cells
- Antigen References
1. Lendahl U, et al. 1990. Cell 60:585.
2. Gilyarov AV, et al. 2008. Neurosci. Behav. Physiol. 38:165.
3. Méndez-Ferrer S, et al. 2010. Nature 466:829.
4. Matsuda Y, et al. 2013. World J. Gastroenterol. 19:42.
- Gene ID
- 18008 View all products for this Gene ID 25491 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Nestin on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.