- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Hepatocyte Growth Factor, Scatter Factor, SF, Lung-Fibroblast-derived Mitogen, Hepatopoietin A, HPTA
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF ) was initially purified from plasma of a patient with fulminant hepatic failure. HGF is a dimeric molecule composed of the α-subunit and β-subunit, linked by a disulfide bond. The two chains are derived from a precursor encoded by the same open reading frame. The C-terminus of the α-subunit is followed directly by the N-terminus of the β-subunit. The pro-HGF possesses 728 amino acids and the subunits are formed by proteolytic cleavage. Proteolytic activation of the precursor form in the extracellular milieu is performed by HGF activator (HGFA). HGFA is a factor XII-like serine proteinase that is not inhibited by serum proteinase inhibitors. Two inhibitors have been described for HGFA, HGFA inhibitor type 1 and type 2 (HAI-1 and -2). Both inhibitors have two well-defined Kunitz inhibitor domains and a presumed transmembrane domain. HGF protects the epithelium, neurons and cardiomyocytes during organ diseases; this protective effect is mediated through anti-apoptotic signals via inhibition of caspase-3 activity or induction of anti-apoptotic molecules, such as Bcl-xL. In addition, HGF prohibits Fas-mediated apoptosis signals via sequestration of Fas and Met receptor on cell surfaces. Also, HGF elicits the regression of fibrosis in numerous organs, such as scleroderma, cardiomyopathy, vocal scarring, and peritoneal fibrosis. Human and murine HGFs are cross-reactive.Product Details
- Mouse HGF, amino acids Gln33-Arg495 (alpha chain) and Val496-Leu728 (beta chain) (Accession # Q53WS5), was expressed in insect cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The alpha and beta chains contains 463 and 233 amino acids and have predicted molecular masses of approximately 53.4 and 26 kD respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acids are Gln and Val.
- >95%, as determined by SDS-PAGE gel and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized from 0.2 µm filtered protein solution in 10 mM Tris, 100 mM L-Arginine, 200 mM NaCl, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C for one year. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-0.5 mg/ml. Reconstituted samples can be kept at 4°C for one week and six months at -20°C to -80°C. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer containing a carrier protein such as 0.1% BSA and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 1 – 4 ng/mL as measured by the ability of protein to induce proliferation of mouse IMCD-3 cells. Deep Blue Cell Vialibity Kit (Cat. No. 424702) was used to quantitate cell proliferation.
- Heterodimer (alpha and beta chains)
Mesenchymal cells, liver sinusoidal endothelial, macrophages
- Potent mitogen for mature parenchymal hepatocyte cells, hepatotrophic factor, and a growth factor for a broad spectrum of tissues and cell types. Activating ligand for the receptor tyrosine kinase MET by binding to it and promoting its dimerization.
- Hepathocytes, epithelial cells.
- MET receptor
- Measured by its ability to induce proliferation of mouse IMCD-3 cells.
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Apoptosis/Tumor Suppressors/Cell Death, Cancer Biomarkers, Cell Biology, Cell Proliferation and Viability, Immunology, Signal Transduction, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
1. Kataoka H, et al. 2000. J. Biol. Chem. 275:40453.
2. Wang X, et al. 2002. Mol. Cell. 9:411.
3. Wu MH, et al. 2004. Gene Ther. 11:170.
4. Mizuno S, et al. 2008. Front. Biosci. 13:7072.
5. D'Angelo F, et al. 2013. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 174:60.
- Gene ID
- 15234 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about HGF on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10^6/ ED50 (ng/mL)