- Other Names
- PCSK9, PC9, NARC1, Neural Apoptosis Regulated Convertase 1
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin 9 (PCSK9) belongs to the proteinase K subfamily of subtilases and is expressed as a soluble zymogen that undergoes autocatalytic intramolecular processing in the endoplasmic reticulum. It is a 692 amino acid (aa) glycoprotein with an overall domain structure similar to other proprotein convertase members. It is comprised of a signal peptide (aa 1–30), a pro segment (aa 31–152), a catalytic domain (aa 153–407), a hinge region (aa 408–452), and a C-terminal Cys-His-rich domain (aa 453–692).
The biological roles of PCSK9 are closely related to its binding partners, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and LDL receptor (LDLR). At the cell surface, secreted PCSK9 binds at a neutral pH to the EGF-A-like repeat of the LDLR via its catalytic domain. The binding of PCSK9 to LDLR enhances the degradation of the LDLR in endosomes/lysosomes, which results in increased circulating LDL-cholesterol (LDL-C). Thus, PCSK9 has gained attention as a pharmacological target for cardiovascular diseases and atherosclerosis. It also binds to the Apoliprotein B (ApoB) in LDL, although its role in this complex is not clearly understood. Due to the interaction of PCSK9 with LDLR, the levels of free PCSK9 or its complexed forms are important indicators for measuring risk of cardiovascular diseases or response to a therapy.
- Human PCSK9, amino acids (Arg29-Gln692) (Accession# NP_777596) was expressed with C-terminal TGHHHHHHHHGGQ tag in CHO cell line.
- Molecular Mass
- Predicted molecular mass of approximately 73 kD. It migrates as 70 and 17 kD for mature and prodomain, respectively, in DTT-reducing conditions and 63 and 17 kD in non-reducing conditions by SDS-PAGE.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- Lyophilized in sterile-filtered PBS, pH 7.2, containing 1% BSA, 0.09% sodium azide, and protease inhibitors.
- Storage & Handling
- Immediately upon receipt, store unopened vials between 2°C and 8°C and use within 12 months from date of receipt. Prior to use, reconstitute the lyophilized powder with 0.2 ml of PBS containing a carrier protein (e.g., 1% BSA, protease free), pH 7.4. Re-cap vial, vortex. Allow the reconstituted standard to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, vortex again to mix completely. The reconstituted standard stock solution can be aliquoted into polypropylene vials and stored at -70°C for up to one month. Do not re-use diluted standards. Use a manual defrost freezer and avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles.
ELISA - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this protein is quality control tested by ELISA assay. For use as an ELISA standard, a standard curve comprised of doubling dilutions from 58.6 to 3,750 pg/mL is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
This human PCSK9 protein is useful as a standard for a human PCSK9 sandwich ELISA, using unlabeled M1118E3 antibody (Cat. No. 537502) as capture and biotinylated Poly5250 antibody (Cat. No. 525004) as detection.
Hepatocytes, neuro-epithelioma, colon carcinoma, Schwann cells
- PCSK9 regulates LDLR, VLDLR, APOER, and APOER2 levels, and, therefore LDLc level. PCSK9 is regulated by SREBP-2
- Ligand Receptor
- LDLR, VLDLR, APOB, LRP1, LRP8
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience, Signal Transduction
- Molecular Family
- Enzymes and Regulators
- Antigen References
- Seidah NG, et al. 2003. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 100:928.
- Naureckiene S, et al. 2003. Arch Biochem Biophys. 420:55.
- Costet P, et al. 2008. Trends Biochem Sci. 33:426.
- Tibolla G, et al. 2011. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 21:835.
- Gene ID
- 255738 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about PCSK9 on UniProt.org