- Other Names
- Growth Differentiation Factor 7, GDF7, GDF-7, BMP-12
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
BMP12 is a member of the TGF-β superfamily that includes TGF-β proteins, activins/inhibins, morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), and GDFs. The TGF-β superfamily plays a key role in skeletal development, bone formation, and stem cell differentiation. BMPs signal through heterotetrameric complex receptors, which include four type I receptors (ALK-1, ALK-2, ALK-3, and ALK-6) and three type II receptors (BMPRII, ActRIIA, and ActRIIB). BMP12, BMP13, and BMP14 share 82% amino acid sequence homology and also similar function. These proteins induce neotendon/ligament formation in vivo after implanted in ectopic sites. Thus, administration of subcutaneous or intramuscular BMP12, BMP13, and BMP14 activate the tenogenic pathway in human and rat bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). BMP12 induces the proliferation of tendon fibroblasts in vitro and the expression of procollagen Type I and Type III. Also, topic administration of ASC and BMP12 promotes cell accumulation and matrix remodeling in a model of tendon repair. In addition, this combined adminstration induces an M2 macrophage phenotype that enriches tendon healing.Product Details
- Human BMP12, amino acid Thr322 - Arg450 (Accession # Q7Z4P5) was expressed in E.coli. The amino-terminal contains Met.
- Molecular Mass
- The 130 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 14.15 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrate at approximately 15 kD and 30 kD respectively by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >96%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 μm filtered protein solution is in 40% Acetonitrile, 0.1% TFA.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per μg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for one month, at -20°C for six months, or at -70°C for one year. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C to -70°C. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in sterile buffer (PBS, HPBS, DPBS, or EBSS) containing carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA and stored in working aliquots at -20°C to -70°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Recombinant human BMP12/GDF-7 induces alkaline phosphatase production in ATDC5 condrogenic cell line in a dose-deppendent manner. The ED50 for this effect is 0.1 – 0.5 µg/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tenoblast, mesenchymal cells, pericytes in the endotenon, tendon fibroblasts.
- BMP12 promotes cell growth and stem cell tenogenic differentiation in bone marrow MSCs. Key role in the development of interneurons, sensory neurons, and seminal vesicles.
- Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), adipose derived MSCs, neurons.
- Type I (BMPR-IB) and a type II (BMPR-II or Activin RII).
- BMP12 induces alkaline phosphatase production in ATDC5 mouse chondrogenic cells.
- Antigen References
- Lou J, et al. 2001. J Orthop Res. 6:1199.
- Fu SC, et al. 2003. Life Sci. 72:2965.
- Mazerbourg S, et al. 2005. J. Biol. Chem. 280: 32122.
- Lo L, et al. 2005. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 102:7192.
- Eliasson P, et al. 2008. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 466:1592.
- Lee JY, et al. 2011. PLoS One. 6:e17531.
- Gelberman RH, et al. 2017. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 475:2318.
- Gene ID
- 151449 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about BMP12/GDF-7 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.