- Other Names
- Urogastrone (URG), HOMG4, Epidermal Growth Factor
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
Rat EGF was initially isolated from the submaxillary gland of the rat. EGF is a member of the EGF family which comprises of TGF-α, heparin-binding EGF like-growth factor (HB-EGF), epigen, epiregulin, betacellulin, neuroregulin, and tomoregulin. All the EGF family members are synthesized as Type I membrane protein precursors, which can undergo proteolytic cleavage at the plasma membrane to release a mature soluble ectodomain. EGF ligands bind to the ErbB receptors and induce a conformational change in the extracellular domain, which enables homodimer or heterodimer formations that activate the intracellular kinase domain. The EGFR family, ErbB receptors, contains four members that belong to the receptor tyrosine kinase superfamily: EGFR (ErbB1/HER-1), ErbB2 (neu/HER-2), ErbB3 (HER-3), and ErbB4 (HER-4). EGF primarily induces the formation of EGFR/EGFR homodimers and EGFR/ErbB2 heterodimers. EGF is a potent regulator of cell growth and differentiation in multiple tissues. It plays important roles in the regulation of biological processes such as neoplasia, wound healing, gastrointestinal maturation, and nutrient absorption. It is also involved in regulating kidney blood circulation and ion transport. It has been suggested that EGF-ErbB signaling pathways might be key factors in the progress of renal lesions including effects on the regulation of sodium reabsorption in the collecting ducts.Product Details
- Rat EGF, amino acids Met-(Asn974-Arg1026) (Accession# NM_012842), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 54 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 6.2 kD. The protein migrates at approximately 9 kD in DTT-reducing conditions and at approximately 12 kD in non-reducing conditions by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.01 ng per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 0.4 - 2 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 0.5 - 2.5 x 106 units/mg, as determined by induction of the cytotoxic effect on human A431 epidermoid carcinoma cells.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Growth factor.
- Mammary gland cells, macrophages, gut epithelial cells, cells in the nervous system, and kidney.
- EGF is a potent regulator of cell growth and differentiation in several tissues. It is induced by NGF in pancreatic B cells.
- Epithelial cells, epidermal cells, and fibroblasts.
- EGFR/EGFR homodimer and EGFR/ErbB2 heterodimer.
- Induces cytotoxic effect on human A431 epidermoid carcinoma cells.
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Innate Immunity, Neuroscience, Stem Cells, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
1. Simpson RJ, et al. 1985. Eur. J. Biochem. 153:629.
2. Gezginci-Oktayoglu S, et al. 2012. Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 28:654.
3. Rousselet E, et al. 2011. J. Biol. Chem. 286:9185.
4. Staruschenko A, et al. 2013. Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 305:F12.
- Gene ID
- 25313 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about EGF on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.