- Other Names
- CD5 antigen-like, Apoptosis inhibitor expressed by macrophages (AIM), Apoptosis inhibitory 6 (Api6), SP-alpha, CT-2, Pdp 1/6.
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
CD5L was initially identified in a mouse macrophage cDNA library. It is a secreted protein and contains three scavenger receptor cysteine-rich domains (SRCR). It was called AIM, for apoptosis inhibitor expressed by macrophages. CD5L is considered the mouse homologue of human Spαand it shares 73% amino acid identity. In CD5L-deficient mice, the thymocytes are diminished and CD4/CD8 double-positive (DP) thymocytes are more susceptible to apoptosis induced by both dexamethasone and irradiation in vivo. Also, CD5L supports the survival of macrophages, T cells, and NKT cells against various apoptosis-inducing stimuli. CD5L displays a broad pathogen recognition spectrum and is involved in early response to microbial aggression. CD5L regulates lipid biosythesis and restrains Th17 cell pathogenicity. CD5L is mainly expressed in non-pathogenic Th17 cells and is down-regulated by IL-23. Loss of CD5L converts non-pathogenic Th17 cells into disease-inducing Th17 cells. CD5L decreases the level of polyunsaturated fatty acyls, affecting Th17-cell lipidome and the binding and activity of Rorγt. CDL5 is present at high level in blood (approximately 5 μg/mL in humans and 2 μg/mL in mice) where it associates with IgM pentamers, which protects CD5L from renal excretion and maintains high levels of circulating CD5L. Constitutive increase in circulating CD5L levels accelerated chronic inflammation, atherosclerosis, and autoantibody production; therefore, a physiological process must regulate blood CD5L levels. Thus, recent studies suggest that IgM-free CD5L is cleaved in blood and preferentially excreted into urine.Product Details
- Mouse CD5L, amino acids (Glu22-Val352) (Accession # NP_033820) was expressed in E.coli. The carboxy terminus contains 6His-tag.
- Molecular Mass
- The 349 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 38.8 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrate at approximately 40 - 60 kD and 80 kD respectively by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Glu.
- >95% by SDS-PAGE gel as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS pH7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.01 ng/µg cytokine (0.1 EU/ µg) as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for one month, at -20°C for six months, or at -70°C for one year. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C to -70°C. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 °g/mL in sterile buffer (PBS, HPBS, DPBS, or EBSS) containing carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA and stored in working aliquots at -20°C to -70°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Mouse CD5L inhibits the apoptotic effect induced by FASL in J774A.1 murine macrophages. The ED50 = 2 - 8 µg/ml.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Miyazaki T, et al. 1999, J. Exp. Med. 189:413.
- Kurokawa J, et al. 2011, PNAS. 108:12072.
- Arai S, et al.2013, Cell Rep.3:1187.
- Martinez VG, et al. 2014 Cell Mol Immunol. 11:343.
- Yamazaki T, et al. 2014, PLoS One. 9:e109123.
- Arai S, et al. 2016, Nat Med.22:183.
- Yamasaki T, et al. 2016, Sci Rep. 6: 38762.
- Wang C, et al. 2015 Cell. 163:1413.
- Inhibits apoptosis, regulates innate immune responses, regulates lipid metabolism.
- DP thymocytes, macrophages, tubular epithelial cell, adipocytes, hepatocytes.
- Interacts with kidney injury molecule 1 (KIM-1), CD36, pathogen associated molecular patterns (PAMPs).
- Inhibits FASL induced apoptosis in J774A.1 macrophages.
- Biology Area
- Immunology, Innate Immunity, Apoptosis/Tumor Suppressors/Cell Death, Costimulatory Molecules
- Molecular Family
- Gene ID
- 11801 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about CD5L on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.