- Other Names
- N2DL2, Retinoic Acid Early Transcript 1H (RAET1H), Retinoic Acid Early Transcript 1L (RAET1L), NKG2D Ligand 2 (NKG2DL2), ALCAN-alpha, UL16-Binding Protein 2
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
NK cells are very important in the innate immune system. These cells are regulated by activating and inhibitory NK receptors. Among the activating receptors are NKG2D and CD16. Eight stress induced ligands have been described in humans; these include ULBP1-6, MICA, and MICB which bind to NKG2D. ULBP2, which is a member of the MHC class I family of proteins, contains two Ig-like domains, the α1 and α2 domains characteristic of the MHC class I family, but not the α3. ULBP2 does not associate with β2-microglobulin, and is attached to the membrane through a glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) linkage. Nevertheless, it has been reported that ULBP2 can be expressed as a transmembrane or a GPI-attached protein. ULBP2 (as well as ULBP1 and 3) induce cytokines and chemokines in NK cells stimulated with IL-15. Also, ULBPs synergize with IL-12 in the induction of cytokines on NK cells. The expression of NKG2D ligands in humans is rare in normal tissues, but present in pathogen infected tissues or primary tumors and cell lines derived from them. ULBPs are expressed in several types of human cancers and their expression is associated with patient survival. The expression of ULBP1-3 by B-non-Hodgkin lymphoma cell lines plays an important role in their susceptibility to rituximab-induced antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC).Product Details
- Human ULBP2, amino acid Gly26 - Ser217 (Accession # Q9BZM5) was expressed in CHO cells. The C-terminus contains -SR-IEGRMD-hIgG1-Fc.
- Molecular Mass
- The 431 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 48.6 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrate at approximately 65 kD and 130 kD respectively by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Gly.
- >96%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10-25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial. (Please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Recombinant human ULBP2 binds to immobilized recombinant human NKG2D in a dose-dependent manner using a functional ELISA. The ED50 for this effect is 1.5 - 7.5 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancer cells from melanoma, B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and lung cancer.
- ULBP2 takes part in the innate immune response and stimulates NK cell activation and cytotoxicity, mediator of anti-tumor activity. It is induced by malignant transformation.
- NK cells, NKT cells, TCRγδ T cells, CD8 T cells, UL16 (protein encoded by the HCMV)
- NKG2D, NKG2D/DAP10 complex
- Recombinant human ULBP2 binds to immobilized NKG2D in a dose-dependent manner using a functional ELISA.
- Cell Sources
- CHO cells
- Cell Type
- NK cells, NKT cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Adhesion, Immunology, Innate Immunity
- Molecular Family
- MHC Antigens
- Antigen References
- Cosman D, et al. 2001. Immunity. 14:123-33.
- Pende D, et al. 2002. Cancer Res. 62:6178-86.
- Gasser S, et al. 2005. Nature. 436:1186-90.
- Inagaki A, et al. 2009. Int. J. Cancer. 10.1002/ijc.24351.
- Fernández-Messina L, et al. 2011. J. Cell. Sci. 10.1242/jcs.076042.
- Wang R, Sun PD. 2014. PLoS One. 10.1371/journal.pone.0091133.
- Fujita H, et al. 2015. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 10.1369/0022155414563800.
- Antonangeli F, et al. 2017. Front Immunol. 8:1583.
- Cox ST, et al. 2018. Front Immunol. 9:1282.
- Gene ID
- 80328 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about ULBP2 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)