- Other Names
- Polypeptide N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 2, GalNAc transferase 2, GalNAc-T2
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
GALNT2 is a family member of polypeptide N-acetyl-galactosaminyltransferases, which are responsible for initiating mucin type O-glycosylation by transferring GalNAc from UDP-GalNAc to Serine and Threonine residues of polypeptide acceptors. To date, there are about 20 members in this family of proteins. The characterization of peptide substrate specificity of each GALNT is critical in understanding their properties and biological roles. Biologically, trans-Golgi is the main subcellular location for GALNT2. This protein has a broad spectrum of peptide substrates peptides such as EA2, Muc5AC, Muc1a, and Muc1b. GALNT2 may play a role in lipid metabolism. In a whole-body and liver-specific GALNT2 knockout mice study, it was shown that whole-body GALNT2 deficiency resulted in elevated VLDL-triglycerides (TG) levels as compared to wild-type mice. GALNT2 KO mice did not exhibit differences in the post-prandial TG clearance or VLDL-TG secretion. In mice with liver-specific deletion, reduced HDL-Cholesterol and reduced numbers of HDL particles with minimal changes in plasma TG or dietary TG clearance were observed. These findings indicate that GALNT2 may play a role as a regulator of plasma lipoprotein metabolism with tissue-specific regulatory roles.Product Details
- Human GALNT2, amino acids (Lys52-Gln571) (Accession# NP_004472.1), was expressed with a N-terminal His tag in the 293E cell line.
- Molecular Mass
- This 519 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 60.3 kD. The protein migrates at about 62 kD in DTT-reducing conditions and at 61 kD in non-reducing conditions by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is His.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in TBS with 2 mM of CHAPS in pH 7.5.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg of protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 - 100 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -70°C for six months. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Human GALNT2 is able to transfer GalNAc from UDP-GalNAc to mucin 10 (EA2) peptide with an activity of > 310 pmol/min/µg.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Wu ZL, et al. 2011. Glycobiology. 6:727.
- Liver, skeletal muscle, placenta, and is widely expressed.
- GALNT2 catalyzes the initial reaction in O-linked oligosaccharide biosynthesis, which is the transfer of a N-acetyl-D-galactosamine residue to the hydroxyl group of serine or threonine residue in the target protein.
- EA2 (mucin 10), Muc5AC, Muc1a, Muc1b, and IgA1 hinge region.
- Human GALNT2 is able to transfer GalNAc residue from UDP-GalNAc to mucin 10 (EA2) peptide.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology
- Molecular Family
- Enzymes and Regulators
- Antigen References
1. White T, et al. 1995. J. Biol. Chem. 41:24156-65.
2. Schjoldager KT, Clausen H. 2012. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 12:2079.
3. Gill DJ, et al. 2011. Trends Cell Biol. 3:149.
4. Gerken TA, et al. 2011. J. Biol. Chem. 286:14493.
5. Bennett EP, et al. 2012. Glycobiology. 22:736.
6. Raman J, et al. 2012. Glycobiology. 22:768.
- Gene ID
- 2590 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about GALNT2 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.