- PHF-13 (See other available formats)
- Other Names
- Microtubule-associated protein tau, PHF-tau, paired helical filament-tau, neurofibrillary tangle protein, microtubule-associated protein tau, isoform 4, G protein beta1/gamma2 subunit-interacting factor 1
Covance Catalog# MMS-546P
- Mouse IgG2b
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Paired helical filaments (PHFs) are the major building blocks of neurofibrillary lesions in Alzheimer's disease brains and are composed of hyperphosphorylated tau protein. Predominantly expressed in axons, alternatively spliced forms of tau comprise a family of microtubule-associated proteins that normally promote and stabilize the assembly of microtubules. PHF-tau differs from normal tau by its abnormal hyperphosphorylation, which results in decreased binding of tau to microtubules. The decreased affinity of PHF-tau for microtubules, coupled with reduced levels of normal tau, destabilizes microtubules leading to an impairment of axonal transport, neuronal death and the aggregation of PHFs. Therefore, hyperphosphorylation of tau is believed to be a key event in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease.Product Details
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- The PHF-13 antibody was raised using PHF-tau preparations from human brain.
- Phosphate-buffered solution; no preservatives or carrier proteins.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 1 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C. Please note the storage condition for this antibody has been changed from -20°C to between 2°C and 8°C. You can also check your vial or your CoA to find the most accurate storage condition for this antibody.
IHC-P - Quality tested
WB - Reported in literature
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration of 10 µg/ml is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
This antibody is effective informalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining (IHC-P) and immunoblotting (WB).
The PHF-13 antibody reacts with human tau phosphorylated at Ser 396.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Lasagna-Reeves CA, et al. 2012. FASEB J. (26):1946 (WB) (PUBMED)
- Lauretti E, et al. 2017. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 4(8): 564 (WB, IHC)
- Li JG, et al. 2017. Sci Rep. (7):46002 (WB, IHC)
- Li JG, et al. 2014. Ann Neurol. 75(6):851 (WB, IHC)
AB_2728540 (BioLegend Cat. No. 829003)
AB_2564925 (BioLegend Cat. No. 829001)
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neurodegeneration, Neuroscience, Protein Misfolding and Aggregation
- Molecular Family
- Phospho-Proteins, Tau
- Gene ID
- 4137 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Tau Phospho (Ser396) on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.