- SP17 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- SYP, Synaptophysin, Major synaptic vesicle protein P38
Covance Catalog# MMS-618R
- Mouse IgM, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Synaptophysin, also known as major synaptic vesicle protein P38, is encoded by the SYP gene in humans and is located on the short arm of the X chromosome. Synaptophysin is located in neuroendocrine cells as well as all neurons in the CNS that participate in synaptic transmission. It is a 38 kD protein that contains four transmembrane domains. Synaptophysin is a synaptic vesicle glycoprotein, and interacts with synaptobrevin. It has been implicated in X-linked mental retardation and can be used as a specific marker for cells of the adrenal medulla and pancreatic islets. As such, it can be used to identify tumors that are derived from those cells, including neuroblastoma, retinoblastoma, medulloblastoma, and others.Product Details
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- This antibody was raised against a crude synaptic preparation from post mortem human brain.
- The concentration is not quantified as this product is sold as undiluted crude mouse ascites fluid. The concentration might vary from lot-to-lot and an estimated concentration would be 1-3 mg/ml.
- Storage & Handling
- Store at -20°C. Upon initial thawing, apportion into working aliquots and store at -20°C. Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles to prevent denaturing the antibody. For long-term storage, keep the antibody at -80°C.
WB - Quality tested
IHC-P, ICC - Verified
ELISA - Reported in the literature, not verified in house
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by Western blotting. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 1:1000 - 1:5000 dilution. For immunohistochemistry on formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue, a dilution range of 1:1000 - 1:5000 is suggested. For immunocytochemistry, a dilution range of 1:1000 - 1:5000 is recommended. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
The antibody is effective in immunoblotting (WB), immunohistochemistry (IHC-P), immunocytochemistry (ICC), and ELISA.
SP17 reacts with native, denatured and recombinant synaptic vesicle protein synaptophysin expressed in CHO cells. The antibody is particularly valueable for immunocytochemical studies of the brain due to its stability in formalin sections.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Product Citations
AB_2734609 (BioLegend Cat. No. 837102)
AB_2565370 (BioLegend Cat. No. 837101)
- Predicted MW = 40 kD
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Presynaptic proteins
- Gene ID
- 6855 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Synaptophysin on UniProt.org
|Purified anti-Synaptophysin||SP17||WB, ICC, IHC-P|
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.