- Poly21469 (See other available formats)
- Other Names
- N-Glycolylneuraminic acid
- Chicken IgY
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Neu5Gc (N-Glycolylneuraminic acid) is a sialic acid molecule found in most mammals but not in humans. It is derived from the most commonly expressed sialic acid, Neu5Ac, differing from it by only one oxygen atom. The gene CMAH that encodes for CMP-N-acetylneuraminic acid hydroxylase is responsible for the conversion of Neu5Ac to Neu5Gc. In humans, this gene is inactive due to a deletion mutation. As such, the human immune system sees Neu5Gc as a foreign, immunogenic molecule. Neu5Gc enters the human body primarily through dietary intake of red meat and dairy products. Neu5Gc is also incorporated, albeit to a lesser degree, into certain biopharmaceuticals, through the use of animal-derived reagents and cell lines during the manufacturing of these products. Due to its immunogenic properties, the intake and incorporation of Neu5Gc in humans causes the formation of circulating antibodies against this non-human molecule, which can lead to chronic inflammation, the exacerbation of certain diseases, and possibly reduced the efficacy of biopharmaceuticals.Product Details
- All mammals except human
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- The Neu5Gc antibody and the chicken IgY isotype control in this kit are lyophilized. The blocking solution is liquid.
- Reconstitute the contents of the antibody vials by adding 25 µl of distilled water to each vial.
- Lot-specific (please contact technical support for concentration and total µg amount, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- For long-term storage, store the lyophilized antibodies at -20°C or -70°C, and store the blocking solution between 2°C and 8°C. After reconstitution, store the antibodies between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks. For longer term storage up to 6 months, store the reconstituted product in aliquots at -20°C.
FC - Quality tested
WB, ELISA, IHC - Reported in the literature, not verified in house
- Recommended Usage
Dilution ranges vary depending on the application. See our protocol sheet for full details. For flow cytometry, use 1:200 to 1:1000; for ELISA, use 1:1000 to 1:10,000; and for Western blot, use 1:1000 to 1:10,000.
- Application Notes
Use caution to avoid animal-derived materials or reagents that might contain Neu5Gc, as these will interfere with anti-Neu5Gc applications. The Neu5Gc Assay Blocking Solution is a gel at 2-8°C; prewarm this solution to room temperature before use.
1. Purified anti-Neu5Gc Antibody (lyophilized), 25 µl
2. Chicken IgY Isotype Control (lyophilized), 25 µl
3. Neu5Gc Assay Blocking Solution (40x), 15 ml
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Diaz SL. et al. 2009. PLoS ONE 4:e4241. (FC, WB, ELISA, IHC)
- Padler-Karavani V. et al. 2008. Glycobiology 18:818.
- Sialic acid
- Biology Area
- Apoptosis/Tumor Suppressors/Cell Death, Cell Biology, Protein Synthesis
- Antigen References
1. Ludwig TE, et al. 2006. Nat. Methods. 3:637.
2. Nguyen DH, 2005. J. Immunol. 175:228.
3. Bardor M, et al. 2005. 280:4228.
4. Diaz SL, et al. 2009. PLoS One 4:e4241.
- Gene ID
- View information about Neu5Gc on UniProt.org
- Why does your Anti-Neu5Gc kit (cat# 146901) come with its own blocking solution? Can I use my own?
- Many common blocking solutions contain reagents such as FBS that would contaminate your samples with Neu5Gc, thus leading to generation of background. The blocking solution in our kit is guaranteed to be free of any of these contaminants.
Customers Also Purchased
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.